Name: The Armenian Genocide Museum & Institute (AGMI). Also known as Tsiternakaberd Memorial Complex
Location: Tsitsernakaberd hill, Yerevan, Armenia
Opening date: November 29, 1967
Architects: Arthur Tarkhanyan and Sashur Kalashyan
Description: The Armenian Genocide Museum and Institute (AGMI) is constructed for the commemoration of the Armenians massacred during the 1915 genocide in Turkey.
Overall area of the complex equals to 4500 square meters and it consists of 3 main buildings:
- 100-meter long basalt The Memorial Wall, which has the names of cities engraved on it.
- The Sanctuary of Eternity (Memorial Hall and Eternal Flame)
- Memorial Column “The Reborn Armenia”.
The complex also includes a 44-meters high monument, made of granite, which symbolizes survival and spiritual rebirth of the Armenian people.
Memorial Sanctuary includes 12 basalt slabs that have circular form. In the center eternal flame memorialize victims of the Genocide.
Every year, on April 24, on the Armenian Genocide Remembrance Day, thousands of Armenians commemorate victims of the Genocide.
Name: Memorial of World War II
Location: Kazbegi (Stepantsminda), Georgia
The memorial is devoted to the local soldiers, who died in the World War II. On the board it has inscribed date: 1941-1945 and names of the people.
On the top of the pillar the memorial has a Soviet symbol – a five-edge star.
Name: Hero Square
Location: Gori, Georgia
The square is an unique place, which unites memorials related to the different political-ideological periods. It has several “layers”. Somehow each of them contradicts to others and it’s really amazing how these conflicting ideas/messages can co-exist on the same space. The site is located in the center of Gori, on the walking distance from Stalin Museum. Continue reading “Hero Square in Gori”
Name: Alley devoted to the victims of April 9 Massacre
Location: School of the village Velistsikhe, Gurjaani Municipality, Georgia.
The memorial board was installed in the construction, which dates back to Soviet period. The new board with respective inscription was placed soon after the massacre, which occurred on April 9, 1989 in Tbilisi, Georgia. On that day Russian soldiers attacked peaceful protesters, using tanks, military spades and poisonous gas. As a result, 21 persons were killed – 17 women and 4 men.
Name: memorial of the heroes fallen in the war in Abkhazia
Location: Alley of Glory, Rustavi, Georgia
The monument represents a composition made by 13 columns. 4 of them had boards inscripted names of the heroes fallen in the war in Abkhazia.
Name: April 9 Memorial
Location: Alley of Glory, Rustavi, Kvemo Kartli Region, Georgia
Opening date: April 9, 2016
Sculptor: Valeri Jikia
Additional information: The memorial is devoted to the victims of the tragedy, which occurred On April 9, 1989. On that day Soviet army attacked to the peaceful protesters in front of the Parliament House, Tbilisi, Georgia. Thousands of people on Rustaveli Avenue demanded restoration of independence of Georgia. Militaries used spades, tanks and poisoned gas. As a result, 21 persons died – 17 women and 4 men. Their age range: from 16 to 61 years old. among them a pregnant woman, schoolgirls, students)
Name: Memorial of Heroes
Location: Jacob Tsurtaveli Street, Rustavi, Kvemo Kartli Region, Georgia
Opening Date: 2012
Name: Memorial plate of Ermaloz Koberidze
Location: #2 Uznadze Street, Tbilisi, Georgia
Description: The memorial board states: “In 1959-1974 Hero of Soviet Union, Major-General Ermaloz Koberidze lived in this house”.
Name: Memorial of the Heroes fighting for the Independence of Georgia, executed by Bolsheviks in 1923
Location: Vake Park, Tbilisi, Georgia
Temporary information boards indicate the place, where memorial will be erected. The memorial will be devoted to the patriots executed on that very place in 1923.
The large board on the wall includes Georgian-language information. The written part sounds as:
“On this place on May 20, 1923 Bolsheviks executed heroes devoted to the independence of Georgia:
- General Konstantin Abkhazi
- General Alexander Andronikashvili
- Major General Gregory Tsulukidze
- Colonel George Khimshiashvili
- Colonel Rostom Muskhelishvili
- Colonel George (Gogi) Khimshiashvili
- Colonel Alexander Machavariani
- Colonel Elizbar Gulisashvili
- Captain of Cavalry Dimitri Chrdileli
- Captain of Cavalry Simon (Simonika) Bagration-Mukhraneli
- Officer Levan Klimiashvili
- Officer Parnaoz Kharalashvili
- Officer Nikoloz Zandukeli
- Iason Kereselidze
- Ivane Kutateladze
- Simon Chiabrishvili
Nobility Council of Georgia
Here will be erected a church according to the decision of Patriarchate of Georgia”.
Paint handwritten “1923” indicates year of their execution.
Damaged information on the ground states that the monument will be constructed on this place.
Additional information: In February 1921 Russian Red Army attacked Democratic Republic of Georgia. Despite desperate fight of Georgian army, Russia occupied the country and imposed own rule. Georgian nobility and various groups continued resistance. One of them was Military Center of Independence committee, members of which were Georgian officers. They planned organization of the rebellion and destruction of the Red Army. But they were arrested ,convicted for the attempt of anti-Soviet rebellion and executed on the territory of Vake Park.
It is said that they sang Anthem of Democratic Republic of Georgia – Glory before the execution.
Name: Obelisk devoted to the fallen in the World War II
Location: Building I, Tbilisi state University, Tbilisi, Georgia.
Sculptor: Elguja Amashukeli
Architect: A. Jibladze
Opening date: 1978
The monument represents a pillar, with an eagle on the top. Below it has dates: 1941-1945.
Georgian-language inscription sounds as: “კლდეების მკერდზე გაზრდილო…” (“grown up on the chest of the cliffs…”). Other part of the text seems to be removed.