The Armenian Genocide Museum & Institute (AGMI)

Name: The Armenian Genocide Museum & Institute (AGMI).  Also known as Tsiternakaberd Memorial Complex

Location: Tsitsernakaberd hill, Yerevan, Armenia

Opening date: November 29, 1967

Architects: Arthur Tarkhanyan and Sashur Kalashyan

Description: The Armenian Genocide Museum and Institute (AGMI) is constructed for the commemoration of the Armenians massacred during the 1915 genocide in Turkey.

Overall area of the complex equals to 4500 square meters and it consists of 3 main buildings:

  • 100-meter long basalt The Memorial Wall, which has the names of cities engraved on it.
  • The Sanctuary of Eternity (Memorial Hall and Eternal Flame)
  • Memorial Column “The Reborn Armenia”.

The complex also includes a 44-meters high monument, made of granite, which symbolizes survival and spiritual rebirth of the Armenian people.

Memorial Sanctuary includes 12 basalt slabs that have circular form. In the center eternal flame memorialize victims of the Genocide.

Every year, on April 24, on the Armenian Genocide Remembrance Day, thousands of Armenians commemorate victims of the Genocide.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Advertisements

Field Cathedral of the Polish Army

polish army church-1

Name: Field Cathedral of the Polish Army

Denomination: Roman Catholic

Location: Długa Street 13/15, Warsaw, Poland

Initial construction date: 1660-1701

Architet: Constantino Tencalla

Details: Field Cathedral of the Polish Army is located in Warsaw, Poland, next to Warsaw Uprising Memorial. It represents a historical church constructed and finalized between 1660-1701 period. The building has been changed for several times, among them in 1834, when Russian authorities converted it into the orthodox church and named after Holy Trinity. The church underwent considerable changes, including architectural (Russian-style “onion” domes were added to the towers) and internal (destroyed and orthodox frescoes were made instead of existing ones).

During 1915-1918 German army used the church as a depot. Afterwards it was reconstructed into the original design and became a cathedral, the seat of the Field Bishop of the Polish Army. World War II brought another wave of destruction and church served as s field hospital. On August 20, 1944 German aerial attack totally destroyed it.

The church was restored in 1946-1960 period. Now it remains as one of the 3 cathedrals of Warsaw and official institution of the Field Bishot of the Polish Army.

One part of the church is devoted to the victims of the Katyn Massacre. About 7000 names of those, who had been killed at Katyn my Soviet army, are displayed on the wall.

37542776082_ab47236fed_b

One wall is devoted to the commemoration of the Smolensk Tragedy.

37542910342_50efbdfbee_b

The museum located in the underground part of the church exposes exhibitions related capelans and their service in the Polish army. It consists of several halls, where the visitors can see religious and military items related to the capelans’ service, different moments of the history.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Memorial of World War II in Kazbegi (Stepantsminda)

 

Name: Memorial of World War II

Location: Kazbegi (Stepantsminda), Georgia

The memorial is devoted to the local soldiers, who died in the World War II. On the board it has inscribed date: 1941-1945 and names of the people.
On the top of the pillar the memorial has a Soviet symbol – a five-edge star.

 

Hero Square in Gori

Name: Hero Square

Location: Gori, Georgia

The square is an unique place, which unites memorials related to the different political-ideological periods. It has several “layers”. Somehow each of them contradicts to others and it’s really amazing how these conflicting ideas/messages can co-exist on the same space. The site is located in the center of Gori, on the walking distance from Stalin Museum.  Continue reading “Hero Square in Gori”

Alley Devoted to the victims of April 9 Massacre, located in Velistsikhe

Name: Alley devoted to the victims of April 9 Massacre

Location: School of the village Velistsikhe, Gurjaani Municipality, Georgia.

The memorial board was installed in the construction, which dates back to Soviet period. The new board with respective inscription was placed soon after the massacre, which occurred on April 9, 1989 in Tbilisi, Georgia. On that day Russian soldiers attacked peaceful protesters, using tanks, military spades and poisonous gas. As a result, 21 persons were killed – 17 women and 4 men.

Memorial of the heroes fallen in the War in Abkhazia

img_20170211_182434

Name: memorial of the heroes fallen in the war in Abkhazia

Location: Alley of Glory, Rustavi, Georgia

The monument represents a composition made by 13 columns. 4 of them had boards inscripted names of the heroes fallen in the war in Abkhazia.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

April 9 Memorial in Rustavi

img_20170211_181927Name: April 9 Memorial

Location: Alley of Glory, Rustavi, Kvemo Kartli Region, Georgia

Opening date: April 9, 2016

Sculptor: Valeri Jikia

Additional information: The memorial is devoted to the victims of the tragedy, which occurred On April 9, 1989. On that day Soviet army attacked to the peaceful protesters in front of the Parliament House, Tbilisi, Georgia. Thousands of people on Rustaveli Avenue demanded restoration of independence of Georgia. Militaries used spades, tanks and poisoned gas. As a result, 21 persons died – 17 women and 4 men. Their age range: from 16 to 61 years old. among them a pregnant woman, schoolgirls, students)

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

John Lennon Wall in Tbilisi

img_20161021_142647Name: John Lennon Wall

Location: Mziuri Park, Tbilisi, Georgia

Opening date: October 9, 2016

The wall represents a symbol of freedom, peace and love. It contains quotes of John Lennon.

Organizers: New Mziuri, Georgian fan-club of The Beatles and company Geb Group

The wall is painted by street artists – Gagosh (George Gagoshidze) and Afour (Lasha Babuadze)

This slideshow requires JavaScript.