This map presents various locations of the monuments, which are related to peace and conflict processes in different countries: Georgia, Armenia, United States, Poland among others.
Name: Field Cathedral of the Polish Army
Denomination: Roman Catholic
Location: Długa Street 13/15, Warsaw, Poland
Initial construction date: 1660-1701
Architet: Constantino Tencalla
Details: Field Cathedral of the Polish Army is located in Warsaw, Poland, next to Warsaw Uprising Memorial. It represents a historical church constructed and finalized between 1660-1701 period. The building has been changed for several times, among them in 1834, when Russian authorities converted it into the orthodox church and named after Holy Trinity. The church underwent considerable changes, including architectural (Russian-style “onion” domes were added to the towers) and internal (destroyed and orthodox frescoes were made instead of existing ones).
During 1915-1918 German army used the church as a depot. Afterwards it was reconstructed into the original design and became a cathedral, the seat of the Field Bishop of the Polish Army. World War II brought another wave of destruction and church served as s field hospital. On August 20, 1944 German aerial attack totally destroyed it.
The church was restored in 1946-1960 period. Now it remains as one of the 3 cathedrals of Warsaw and official institution of the Field Bishot of the Polish Army.
One part of the church is devoted to the victims of the Katyn Massacre. About 7000 names of those, who had been killed at Katyn my Soviet army, are displayed on the wall.
One wall is devoted to the commemoration of the Smolensk Tragedy.
The museum located in the underground part of the church exposes exhibitions related capelans and their service in the Polish army. It consists of several halls, where the visitors can see religious and military items related to the capelans’ service, different moments of the history.
Location: Kazbegi (Stepantsminda), Georgia
The memorial is devoted to the local soldiers, who died in the World War II. On the board it has inscribed date: 1941-1945 and names of the people.
On the top of the pillar the memorial has a Soviet symbol – a five-edge star.
Name: Hero Square
Location: Gori, Georgia
The square is an unique place, which unites memorials related to the different political-ideological periods. It has several “layers”. Somehow each of them contradicts to others and it’s really amazing how these conflicting ideas/messages can co-exist on the same space. The site is located in the center of Gori, on the walking distance from Stalin Museum. Continue reading “Hero Square in Gori”
Location: School of the village Velistsikhe, Gurjaani Municipality, Georgia.
The memorial board was installed in the construction, which dates back to Soviet period. The new board with respective inscription was placed soon after the massacre, which occurred on April 9, 1989 in Tbilisi, Georgia. On that day Russian soldiers attacked peaceful protesters, using tanks, military spades and poisonous gas. As a result, 21 persons were killed – 17 women and 4 men.
Location: Alley of Glory, Rustavi, Kvemo Kartli Region, Georgia
Opening date: April 9, 2016
Sculptor: Valeri Jikia
Additional information: The memorial is devoted to the victims of the tragedy, which occurred On April 9, 1989. On that day Soviet army attacked to the peaceful protesters in front of the Parliament House, Tbilisi, Georgia. Thousands of people on Rustaveli Avenue demanded restoration of independence of Georgia. Militaries used spades, tanks and poisoned gas. As a result, 21 persons died – 17 women and 4 men. Their age range: from 16 to 61 years old. among them a pregnant woman, schoolgirls, students)
Name: Memorial plate of Ermaloz Koberidze
Location: #2 Uznadze Street, Tbilisi, Georgia
Description: The memorial board states: “In 1959-1974 Hero of Soviet Union, Major-General Ermaloz Koberidze lived in this house”.
Name: Memorial of the Heroes fighting for the Independence of Georgia, executed by Bolsheviks in 1923
Location: Vake Park, Tbilisi, Georgia
Temporary information boards indicate the place, where memorial will be erected. The memorial will be devoted to the patriots executed on that very place in 1923.
The large board on the wall includes Georgian-language information. The written part sounds as:
“On this place on May 20, 1923 Bolsheviks executed heroes devoted to the independence of Georgia:
- General Konstantin Abkhazi
- General Alexander Andronikashvili
- Major General Gregory Tsulukidze
- Colonel George Khimshiashvili
- Colonel Rostom Muskhelishvili
- Colonel George (Gogi) Khimshiashvili
- Colonel Alexander Machavariani
- Colonel Elizbar Gulisashvili
- Captain of Cavalry Dimitri Chrdileli
- Captain of Cavalry Simon (Simonika) Bagration-Mukhraneli
- Officer Levan Klimiashvili
- Officer Parnaoz Kharalashvili
- Officer Nikoloz Zandukeli
- Iason Kereselidze
- Ivane Kutateladze
- Simon Chiabrishvili
Nobility Council of Georgia
Here will be erected a church according to the decision of Patriarchate of Georgia”.
Paint handwritten “1923” indicates year of their execution.
Damaged information on the ground states that the monument will be constructed on this place.
Additional information: In February 1921 Russian Red Army attacked Democratic Republic of Georgia. Despite desperate fight of Georgian army, Russia occupied the country and imposed own rule. Georgian nobility and various groups continued resistance. One of them was Military Center of Independence committee, members of which were Georgian officers. They planned organization of the rebellion and destruction of the Red Army. But they were arrested ,convicted for the attempt of anti-Soviet rebellion and executed on the territory of Vake Park.
It is said that they sang Anthem of Democratic Republic of Georgia – Glory before the execution.