Field Cathedral of the Polish Army

polish army church-1

Name: Field Cathedral of the Polish Army

Denomination: Roman Catholic

Location: Długa Street 13/15, Warsaw, Poland

Initial construction date: 1660-1701

Architet: Constantino Tencalla

Details: Field Cathedral of the Polish Army is located in Warsaw, Poland, next to Warsaw Uprising Memorial. It represents a historical church constructed and finalized between 1660-1701 period. The building has been changed for several times, among them in 1834, when Russian authorities converted it into the orthodox church and named after Holy Trinity. The church underwent considerable changes, including architectural (Russian-style “onion” domes were added to the towers) and internal (destroyed and orthodox frescoes were made instead of existing ones).

During 1915-1918 German army used the church as a depot. Afterwards it was reconstructed into the original design and became a cathedral, the seat of the Field Bishop of the Polish Army. World War II brought another wave of destruction and church served as s field hospital. On August 20, 1944 German aerial attack totally destroyed it.

The church was restored in 1946-1960 period. Now it remains as one of the 3 cathedrals of Warsaw and official institution of the Field Bishot of the Polish Army.

One part of the church is devoted to the victims of the Katyn Massacre. About 7000 names of those, who had been killed at Katyn my Soviet army, are displayed on the wall.

37542776082_ab47236fed_b

One wall is devoted to the commemoration of the Smolensk Tragedy.

37542910342_50efbdfbee_b

The museum located in the underground part of the church exposes exhibitions related capelans and their service in the Polish army. It consists of several halls, where the visitors can see religious and military items related to the capelans’ service, different moments of the history.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Advertisements

Memorial of World War II in Kazbegi (Stepantsminda)

 

Name: Memorial of World War II

Location: Kazbegi (Stepantsminda), Georgia

The memorial is devoted to the local soldiers, who died in the World War II. On the board it has inscribed date: 1941-1945 and names of the people.
On the top of the pillar the memorial has a Soviet symbol – a five-edge star.

 

Hero Square in Gori

Name: Hero Square

Location: Gori, Georgia

The square is an unique place, which unites memorials related to the different political-ideological periods. It has several “layers”. Somehow each of them contradicts to others and it’s really amazing how these conflicting ideas/messages can co-exist on the same space. The site is located in the center of Gori, on the walking distance from Stalin Museum.  Continue reading “Hero Square in Gori”

Obelisk of World War II at Tbilisi State University

img_20161021_154405Name: Obelisk devoted to the fallen in the World War II

Location: Building I, Tbilisi state University, Tbilisi, Georgia.

Sculptor: Elguja Amashukeli

Architect: A. Jibladze

Opening date: 1978

The monument represents a pillar, with an eagle on the top. Below it has dates: 1941-1945.

Georgian-language inscription sounds as: “კლდეების მკერდზე გაზრდილო…” (“grown up on the chest of the cliffs…”). Other part of the text seems to be removed.

Memorial of Military Glory in Gurjaani

Memorial of Military Glory is located in Gurjaani, Georgia. Opening date symbolically coincided to the anniversary of Victory Day over Nacizm – May 9, 1978. The memorial is devoted to the victims of World War II.

The memorial represents a complex, which consists of the following parts:

  • Exhibition hall with the paintings and statues, which reflect various affairs of World War II. They belong to the artists and sculptors of Soviet period.

img_9396

The painting of Joseph Stalin with his mother – Ekaterine Jugashvili.

stalin

Continue reading “Memorial of Military Glory in Gurjaani”

Park of Eternal Glory to the Soldiers of The World War II in Kiev

The Park of Eternal Glory is situated in the center of Kiev, at the bank of the river Dnieper. It is a memorial complex devoted to the soldiers, who died in the World War II.

k1

k6

This Glory Obelisk was installed in 1957. At the pedestal of the stela there is Grave of Unknown Soldier. Its height equals to 27 meters (88.6 ft).  Continue reading “Park of Eternal Glory to the Soldiers of The World War II in Kiev”